If you have read our previous blogposts, by now you know the negative effects of wearing uncomfortable high-heels, what they can do to your body, and how to exercise to prevent additional feet pain. If not, you can quickly catch up here. But isn't there more we can do to feel comfortable in the heels we wear? Of course there is! We are the ones choosing what to wear right?! In this blog post we have selected the most important things you need to bear in mind next time you go stiletto shopping. So let's get into, shall we!
Shop at the end of the day
Shop at the end of the day, because at that time your feet are more likely to be swollen from work and daily activities. By shopping at this time of the day, you will get an idea of how the shoe will fit you at all times of the day. Don't make the mistake of trying heels in the morning only to regret it when they are too tight for you when your feet are swollen.
'Shop at the end of the day when your feet are swollen to make sure your heels will always fit nicely'Select the right size and fit
We all should be aware that different shoe companies have different sizes. With that in mind, unless you have already purchased from this brad, always try a shoe first to see if it is your size, and if it is the right fit. Measure your feet when you buy shoes, because even a few extra kilos can make your shoe size larger.'High-heels should fit snugly and hold the foot firmly in place' Dr. Surve. Heels which are loose can lead to your foot sliding up and down and you not being able to keep your balance. Not to mention injuries such as bleeding, blisters, and ripped toenails.
So remember, if the shoe is not the right size or it just does not fit right, leave them, no matter how pretty they are.
Find shoes that have enough space for your toes. Cramped toes and shoes that are not wide enough will definitely cause pain. By consistently wearing heels without sufficient space for your toes, you increase your chances of developing hammer toes, corns, bunions, and arthritis. Also, avoid narrow toe boxes that squeeze toes. Narrow, pointy high heels are the perfect storm for foot pain, according to Dr. Surve. Ideally, a pointed shoe will narrow after the toe box to give the illusion of length while providing ample space for your foot.
- Round toes and almond toes provide much more room than the classic pointy toes.
- Pointy toes with even a slightly rounded almond shape provide more room than the classic wedge-shaped pointy toes.
- A deeper toe box provides much more room overall than a shallower one.Pointy toes with deep toe boxes will pinch less than round toes with extremely shallow toe-boxes.
Walking in your heels, you should feel comfortable, supported and balanced.Practice walking at home before taking your heels out You can try walking with your new high-heels at home. You can always return them if you have not worn them outside. So put those pretty things when you get back from work for a few hours and put them through a test! But before that remember:
- You'll notice that heels cause your steps to be shorter; this is normal. The higher the heel, the shorter your steps will be. Don't try to stride like you would in sneakers.
- When you walk, make sure you keep your heels vertical; do not let them roll to the side. This will lead to the heel slipping and cause you to fall.
- They will last much longer than synthetic leather shoes
- To check if the shoes made from real leather or suede, check the inside of the shoes. If it says man-made upper or man-made materials, they are from synthetic materials. If it says leather upper or suede upper, they are made from real leather or suede materials.
- The so call 'Kitten heels' are between 4 and 5 cm, and are the versatile choice for for all day wear.
- The classic heel height is 7-8 cm and is the universal choice for work.
- The 10 cm heel is the elegant choice for after work and weekend activities such as cocktail parties and dinners.
- Heels which are 12 to 16 cm high are not as comfortable and easy to walk in. Go for such heels only, if you don't expect to walk in them for too long.
- choose the right size and fit
- try them on before you buy them
- test and walk around in them at home
- choose a heel with thick insole and cushioning
- go for leather or suede (or a combination of both)
- make sure the heel is placed under your heel and that it is thick enough
- choose the right size heel height for your needs
- as pretty as high-heels are, they should be comfortable and make you feel confident and empowered when you are wearing them. So do your feet a favour and choose the high-heels, which are the most comfortable and suitable for your needs ❤️